Friday, February 7, 2014

You're Only Young Once

 
Published in Ask Anggi column, Speak #September# 2013


I remember the first time I picked up an issue of Speak! Magazine. It was the magazine’s first edition, featuring Indonesian racer Rio Haryanto on the cover. I was truly inspired by Rio’s story; this journey to the top was nit easy, yet he managed  to become a world class racer at the age of 19. The next edition had Gita Gutawa as a cover girl. Her achievements are just as impressive –she had sold more than half a million solo album before she even hit 16.


I must admit that successful youngsters like Rio and Gita inspire me a lot. It is refreshing to have young people to look up to. Luckily, these days it is not hard to find inspiration all around. I take inspiration from different people for different reasons. For instance, I love . Agnes Monica because her determination inspires me to work hard to achieve my dream survivor Anne Frank inspires me to overcome challenges in life.

But I don’t get my motivation only from celebrities I read about in magazines. During my constant travels to participate in youth conference around the world, I have met many regular students who are just as inspiring.
One of most inspiring encounters I have had was with g irl name Xiaomei Zou.. We met on the train during a six hour trip from Switzerland to Italy. While we talked and got to know each other,  I was impressed by her  remarkable story. The Chinese native hails from humble beginnings. After finishing high school, she won a double-scholarship to go to college in Geneva. Now in her twenties, Zou has been travelling the globe as humanitarian activist and has an unbelievably positive outlook on life – something that I truly admire.

The great inventor Thomas Edison once said: “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.” What he meant is that is important not only to be inspired, but also to achieve  your aspirations. Use the motivation you get from these inspiring people to help you achieve something big in your life, because they prove that being young should not hold you back. Rather, it can push you forward. And the time to do it is now - after all, you’re only young once.

No comments: