Thursday, January 10, 2013

That Cambodian Girl

(Published in  ASK Anggi column,  speak! # 07 # Januari 2013)

Winning the Speaker! Competition in November 2012 is one of the most defining moments in my life. For one thing, it is a validation of my work as a young activist. For another, having the privilege of being the Speak! Magazine ambassador allows me to meet many interesting people.
Last month I met dozen Southeast Asian teenagers, who are fighting to eradicate human trafficking. They were in Jakarta to attend the MTV Exit ASEAN Youth Session, an initiative set up by MTV to combat the terrible problem of human trafficking.
The venue was @amerika, a cultural center in Jakarta managed by the US Embassy. Popular local band D’Masiv performed its smash hit Jangan Menyerah (Don’t Give up) in creating awareness about the issue.
Sure the change to meet a famous band was awesome, but talking to the young activists from the neighboring countries was truly inspirational. I was particularly drawn to Danay Mao (@DanayMao) , a 22-year old activist from Cambodia.
“I live on the border between Thailand and Cambodia. I have been working with several non-governmental organizations to combat human trafficking, which is rampant in my area, “she said.
Human trafficking in Cambodia is  a very complex issue. UNICEF found that 35 percent of Cambodia’s 15.000 prostitutes are children under the age of 16, many of whom are trafficked by their families.

You can feel the courage in Danay’s voice-the kind that gives you goose bumps knowing that she’s seen it all. Yet she also has a smile that could melt the iciest of hearts.  With all the problems, she has to deal with,  I was intrigued to find out her thoughts on the future. I asked her about her New Year’s resolutions.

It turns out this bright but humble young woman has a simple wish that, unlike many of us, doesn’t involve losing weight or finding a new boyfriend.

“I’m committed to enriching my knowledge about my country and the world trough reading.  Frankly I don’t really read much. But meeting so many bright people here in Jakarta made me realize that I don’t know a lot of things, “she says.
For someone who dedicates most of her days to a cause, I suppose a little me time for reading is a luxury.

 I hope that Danay’s courage, humility and life philosophy will inspire you, as it did me, to focus on achieving meaningful goals in 2013.

                                                                ---o0o---
Here is the  clip of my presentation  --     D'Masiv 


No comments: